Read here. If one desires any proof that the Obama administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress could care less about the environment, the legislation to expand the use of ethanol as fuel is all one needs. Almost all proposed climate/energy legislation is blatant big corporate welfare or an attempt to enrich wealthy liberal/left donors who invest in get-rich-quick-on-taxpayer-subsidies green schemes.
The ethanol expansion is a classic case of a gigantic corporate welfare scheme, which a lot of people and groups (both left and right) are now plenty sick and tired of, as the above linked article documents.
- Ethanol produces little or no additional energy versus energy needed to produce it.
- Can damage vehicle engines not designed to run on ethanol.
- Result in greater CO2 emissions than fossil fuel.
- Causes rising food prices either directly or by competing with food crops.
- Food riots and hunger have been direct result of higher ethanol production.
- Encourages clearing of climate-stabilizing forest lands.
- Increases use of fertilizer leading to greater runoff and NOx emissions.
- Huge amounts of scarce fresh water wasted to produce single gallon of ethanol.
- Produce less energy than simply burning the biomass to produce electricity.
- Are only commercially viable with government subsidies and forced use mandates.