Read here. Kevin Trenberth, like so many of his IPCC AGW-comrades recently, is finally admitting there exists many shortcomings and failures in the global warming "consensus" science. In Trenberth's case, he body slams the climate models, which all the alarmist catastrophic predictions are based on.
Specifically, Trenberth takes issue with the climate models' inadequacies in regards to precipitation. Such as:
- "...all models contain large errors in precipitation simulations, both in terms of mean fields and their annual cycle, as well as their characteristics: the intensity, frequency, and duration of precipitation..."
- "...relates to poor depiction of transient tropical disturbances, including easterly waves, Madden-Julian Oscillations, tropical storms, and hurricanes..."
- "...confidence in model results for changes in extremes is tempered by the large scatter among the extremes in modeling today's climate, especially in the tropics and subtropics..."
- "...it appears that many, perhaps all, global climate and numerical weather prediction models and even many high-resolution regional models have a premature onset of convection and overly frequent precipitation with insufficient intensity,..."
- "...model-simulated precipitation "occurs prematurely and too often, and with insufficient intensity, resulting in recycling that is too large..."
- "...a lifetime of moisture in the atmosphere that is too short, which affects runoff and soil moisture..."
- and finally, he has a NSS moment..."major challenges remain to improve model simulations of the hydrological cycle."
[Kevin Trenberth 2011: Climate Research]
Sooo, climates models can't do precipitation (rain/snow/hail). That's not much of a surprise to skeptics, plus it is widely known throughout the scientific world that climate models are also unable to do: water vapor, wind, clouds, ocean oscillations, atmospheric oscillations, ocean currents, polar ice sheets, positive feedback, negative feedback, climate sensitivity, aerosol impacts, submerged volcano impacts, solar/cosmic/UV impacts, monsoons/hurricanes/typhoons, ocean heat, missing heat, missing CO2, minimum surface temperatures, maximum surface temperatures, regional warming/cooling, and of course, global warming, which is Trenberth's personal brass ring travesty.
Clearly, the climate models themselves are travesties, which the IPCC's lead dogs are finally starting to turn on. Although Trenberth shows some courage in publicly admitting a major (billions of dollars) climate science failure, he will likely revert to his true self in the near future to make amends to the green radical fringe.