The IPCC and the typical CAGW alarmist claims all sorts of magical powers for CO2-induced global warming - per the data NASA / GISS data though, none are true
The above blinking chart (created here) shows four different short-term linear trends (five years ending 1998, 2003, 2007 & 2011) for NASA/GISS surface temperatures. The latest 5-year trend ending 2011 is +0.36°C per century rate.
The long-term trend (+0.60°C per century rate) since 1880 is higher than 5-yr period ending 2011.
- The current 5-year trend is below the long-term trend
- There have been recent prior periods when the short-term trend has been moderately negative (cooling rate)
- There have been recent prior periods when the short-term trend has been highly positive (warming rate)
- Atmospheric CO2 levels keep increasing across every short-term period at approximately the same per century rate
- Atmospheric CO2 does not cause global temperatures to be: unequivocal, irreversible, accelerating or significantly warming on a permanent basis
- Recent global warming could convert to global cooling very quickly (in a span of a few years) regardless of atmospheric CO2 levels
- Robust global warming (cooling) is not "incontrovertible"