Green-sharia scientists, politicians and celebrities pushing an anti-growth political agenda continue to fail miserably at convincing the public that human CO2 causes severe weather events and extreme climate change - a classic example is the 2012 U.S. drought, which NOAA data confirm, is unrelated to CO2 levels despite the hysterical claims of the greens
(click on image to enlarge)
The adjacent chart represents a plot of the percent U.S. area that exhibits drought conditions per the Palmer Drought Index. These empirical measurements, from 1895 to the present, are reported by NOAA. In addition, the chart displays a plot of monthly CO2 levels during the same time range.
A few very rational and objective conclusions one can draw from the chart:
- Severe droughts have occurred well before 1960 and the large influx of human CO2 emissions.
- The droughts of the 1930's and 1950's were worse than the 2011/12 drought.
- The 30-year drought average (red curve) indicates little in the way of extreme climate change - in fact, current drought conditions are well within the bounds of natural climatic variation over the last 100+ years.
- U.S. severe droughts appear to follow some natural rhythm or cycle.
- CO2 levels are not the cause of severe droughts.